JOB SPECIFICATION – FIREFIGHTER
General Statement of Duties:
All members must be physically and mentally capable of responding to an emergency to perform firefighting/rescue and other related work as required, in the saving of life and property.
Summary of Firefighter Duties, Responsibilities, and Working Conditions:
· Fire department members must reside within our fire protection district.
· Covered by WorkSafeBC and On-Duty Accident & Sickness Insurance.
· May be required to obtain a Hepatitis 'B' vaccination or provide confirmation of current vaccination.
· Must maintain a reasonable level of health and fitness.
· Must carry a pager supplied by the Fire Department.
· Must be able to obtain First Aid and CPR certificates (training provided by the department).
· Must complete a Recruit/Exterior Training Program before activation (Approximately 65 hours).
· Must be committed to continuous training in fire suppression, auto extrication, and emergency first aid procedures.
· For safety reasons, facial hair may affect the integrity of the self-contained breathing apparatus's facepiece seal. Beards, bushy moustaches, and long sideburns are not permitted.
· Responsible for performing various duties under emergency conditions, safely and efficiently.
· Tasks include the routine maintenance of firefighting equipment and property, carrying out specific orders and directions as received from a superior officer, training and firefighting.
· Must respond promptly, safely, and efficiently to alarms, obey the orders of the officer in charge, share in the work that is required at emergency scenes, around the fire station, and when otherwise on duty.
· Must refrain from using offensive statements or language at the emergency scene, in and around the fire stations, and when on duty in public.
· Must be loyal to their fellow firefighters, officers, and department and at all times conduct themselves in a professional, compassionate, and sensitive manner, remembering that he/she is in the eyes of the public while on duty or when wearing identifiable department clothing while not on duty.
· Must meet minimum attendance for calls and training.
· Zero tolerance for members engaging in any fire department business while impaired by drugs or alcohol.